Electrical issues -complex

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's electrical systems or electronics here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Triumph

Electrical issues -complex

Post by Triumph »

"Under Generator power, every outlet shows reverse polarity.    When the generator selector (circuit breaker) at the switch board is engaged the neutral and busses are supposed to be bonded together and the the neutral and ground busses ARE NOT supposed to be bonded together onboard when the selector is in the shore supplied power position."  The boat has a Westerbeke 3.8KW generator installed.

Answer, it turns out that we needed to have a neutral to ground wire installed on the generator. I think we've solved this issue.
Attachments
Electrical measures.png
Electrical measures.png (10.29 KiB) Viewed 3046 times
Last edited by Triumph on Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
wolfe10

Re: Electrical issues -complex

Post by wolfe10 »

With the number of us who have read this and not been able to offer suggestions, my suggestion is to forward this to your generator manufacturer and ask for their advice.

Brett
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
leigh weiss

Re: Electrical issues -complex

Post by leigh weiss »

I would guess that all was well with the system until now, and you did not modify any part of the electrical system. Unplug or disconnect one AC appliance (including battery chargers and DHW heater and the zinc saver/s) one at a time and recheck your voltage readings. Or remove all AC appliances and check the voltage readings. I would go over all the connections of the ground and neutral wiring removing each one, checking for tightness of the crimps and looking for breaks in the wires. Tight connections are not enough, they must be clean metal (with no oxidation). Oxidation could introduce resistance which produces voltage drops with current draw. "Leakage" of voltage might come from the heating elements in the DHW heater. Double check them.
Lots of luck finding your gremlins. Please keep us posted.
Leigh and Donna Weiss
Brisa #155
Georgetown, MD. USA