spare Alternator

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's electrical systems or electronics here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

roostermt

spare Alternator

Post by roostermt »

Hi guys,

Headed to the Bahamas and was thinking about carrying a spare Alt.

Has anybody sourced something for a spare. Not sure I'm stepping up and buying the Universal one.

Roost
Last edited by roostermt on Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marklunorman

Re: spare Alternator

Post by marklunorman »

Dear Roost,

I have an extra that I am not using. Contact me off-line and let's work something out.

Mark
Bali Hai #143
Pasadena, MD Chesapeake Bay
443-812-2973
S/V Tavish B.

Re: spare Alternator

Post by S/V Tavish B. »

Roost,

Congrats on your travels South, sounds like fun.

If you don't mind my two-cents, I'd encourage you to check out installing the balmar 70amp alternator and keeping your original as a spare.

I recently installed the 70amp model, which allowed the same belt and bolted right up (give or take a few swipes of a file). It helps me keep my house bank well topped off for my cruising style and I have the OEM alternator as a smaller, lighter spare should the Balmar give up the ghost. I also got their external regulator gizmo, which has the three phase charging my AGM batteries like, I'm so happy with the performance with it I felt compelled to opine here in open forum about it!

Other than fishing a few wires out of the engine area to the batteries, install was about a half day.

Safe travels!
Nick C.