Boiling batteries

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's electrical systems or electronics here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

BillBerner

Boiling batteries

Post by BillBerner »

I've started my Spring Commissioning and have a Battery/charger problem
On Friday I plugged in the boat to shore power and started the battery charger.
Voltage, I think was below 12. I checked but can't really recall.
Today I went back to the boat and found the house bankbatteries boiling, the stench of sulphur, and the charger still pumping out 20 amps! The starting battery which is sealed, is cool to the touch. Charger is a Charles 30 amp 5000.
I immediately turned off the charger. duh.
I had noticed some signs of boiling last season. Low water, black residue, and faster than normal discharge. I just kept topping them up, and left it at that.
1/2 hour or so later voltage is 13.12 with no load (still sizzling). The voltage at the starting battery, completely isolated and just a cpl of years old is 13.11
Question is, is the cause the batteries, or is the charger fried? And if it's the charger are the batteries now shot. I don't know if they are original to the boat, 2003, or were replaced by a previous owner before 2012 when I bought it
Thanks
Bill Berner
Spartina #66
Bill Berner
#66, Stamford CT.
KenKrawford

Re: Boiling batteries

Post by KenKrawford »

Bill, I've had the same thing happen to me several times over the years. Each time, the problem was the battery, not the charger. I would help to know the age of the batteries but I realize that's not possible. My guess is that the batteries are shot. Having said that, I had a couple of batteries with the tops of the plates exposed that I was able to recharge and they are still working 2 seasons later. In my case the charger was only putting out a float charge and the sulfur smell was absent.
I'd get some new batteries and carefully watch to charger output when initially connected. If the output stays at 20 amps for more than just a minute or two, then perhaps your charged is fried as well. My guess is that it will drop to a couple of amps fairly quick.
I'm sure someone with a better knowledge of batteries will weigh in and offer a more scientific opinion.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
saileagleswings

Post by saileagleswings »

You could disconnect the house batteries and connect the starting battery and try the charger. If the charger works OK, you know the problem is the batteries.
djones

Post by djones »

Many times, one of the 6 cells (in a 12V battery) has shorted. That will reduce the battery's voltage by one cell, or a nearly two volts. That will fool the charger into thinking it needs to keep the charge rate up.

If this is a flooded cell type battery, you will usually visually see that one of the cells isn't producing bubbles. That is the clue that the battery has a shorted cell and is the culprit. Also, with the charger disconnected from the suspect battery, the battery terminal voltage will be low.

Don Jones, #13, Onatop
Oak Island/Southport, NC
BillBerner

Post by BillBerner »

Thanks to both of you.
Now I just have to get the old ones out and the new ones in without any help - while the boats on jack stands!

Bill Berner
Bill Berner
#66, Stamford CT.
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

I don't have any easy answers for getting what I assume are 4D's off the boat. Do yourself and your back a favor and replace them with golf cart batteries. Just a thought.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
AynB

Post by AynB »

0. Absolutely replace the 4D's with golf cart batteries.
1. Since you are on the hard, there is a fairly easy ( I said fairly ) method to get the batteries to the ground. Once they are in the cockpit, rig a block and tackle off the end of the boom and then swing the boom off the side and lower the batteries down. You will have to be sure to have enough length of rope to run the distance required by the mechanical advantage; e.g. if you make up a four to one system, you will need at least four and a half times the distance from the end of the boom to the ground to make the run. This is how , in the old days , the sailors laded their boats at docks.
2. Since you are on the hard, I might assume that you are in a yard. Most yards have a fork lift and for a price , will assist you in lowering the batteries to the ground.

As for getting them to the cockpit floor, it really just takes two people and patience.

good luck
al
BillBerner

Post by BillBerner »

Happy to say that at the ripe old age of 59 I simply hauled the batteries out of the compartment &cabin, into the cockpit, and down an extension ladder alone, with no mechanical aids.
Better still, I stuck with 4d's (I'm cheap) and got the new ones up the ladder and into the cabin myself as well.
Not easy, but doable.
Bill Berner
#66, Stamford CT.
BillBerner

Post by BillBerner »

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
Bill Berner
#66, Stamford CT.
yodagwb

Post by yodagwb »

I don't know if I missed it but how old are the batteries? They should have a label showing their year. If they are 4 plus I would with the batteries. Try disconnection the one bank and charging the other bank and watch what happens, then switch. You need to disconnect the charging wire from one or the other banks to test.
If enough plating has shed to the bottom, shorting is a possibility and the charger will go to town on them.
nybor

Post by nybor »

Bit the bullet. Even though it seems my 2 4DL are operational, they are 9 years old. So I decided to replace them. I may try to equalize the two later - not sure what I will then do with them!
Anyway, bought three new Lifelines. I haven't removed the old ones yet, but, a friend's two sons and I easily got them off the dock, onto the boat and down the stairs to the cabin. It took 5 minutes. (Note, I COULD have done this all by myself, but, I had a blister on my finger - installing microwave ovens - lets all sing along).

I am going to hook up three of the new ones. These, couple with my solar and wind generators, should provide me the requisite power. The third sits perfectly in the port storage bin. I am going to make some tie downs for it - just in case.

dave

ps. for those that HAVE installed three - question. How did you hook it up to the two other ones? I mean did you attach the positive terminal to say battery 1 and the negative to battery 2, or doesn't it matter.

thanks
nybor

!

Post by nybor »

forgot the best part of getting Lifelines again. The reputable dealer told me that these new ones, while appear to weigh 127 lbs, actually float if tossed in the water!
He said, that is why they are called, LIFELINEs. He said if there is a MOB, simple disconnect one of them and toss it to him. It will support 10 times the sailors weight or 2,000 lbs.

dave

ps. strange. I just tried to contact the dealer, since I was concerned about the manufacture date of my new ones...... Is 1987 too old?
yodagwb

Post by yodagwb »

Aren't you about 11days late on that post?
Lulu

Post by Lulu »

reviving this old post as I had a similar experience over the weekend.
over last couple of weeks actually smelled rotten onion like or egg smell .. could not find where it was coming from.
this past weekend happened to check battery compartment of my 2 brand new (less than 6 weeks old) 4D batteries and noticed something that looked chard on floor of battery compartment so got to moving things around and there was about a 6"x4" hold burned in the bottom. Electrician says battery acid is the culprit, no signs of leakage from the new batteries on top or any evidence.

1. I thought battery lockers were supposed to be contained and not react to battery acid leakage - has anyone else experienced problems with the construction of their battery locker forward of the nav desk ? It does have fiberglass but a very thin coat apparently. The fix for us... we made sure that there was no more damage other than to the veneer under the batteries and cut a thick piece of starboard and sealed up the entire locker trying to make a proper battery containment locker.
2. do you have your 4D's in battery boxes inside the locker ?

Ok battery locker now hopefully is all non reactive to acid if more happens to leak out but why.... never had this problem before so checked charger and it kicks on and then goes to float.. all good.
cranked the engine and tested charge from alternator... all good.
tested both batteries.... the right way ... all good

Onion / Eggy smell is not gone yet but hopefully it will dissipate

Clueless on the gulf coast... ideas ?
Leslie West
S/V Tiki Hull 154
Docked Pensacola Florida
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

I know these are almost new batteries but have you checked the electrolyte level since you had this problem? When this happened to me in the past, the electrolyte had boiled dry and the plates were exposed.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
Lulu

Post by Lulu »

Ken
Yes all good on levels. I check them and had electrician also look to make sure I did not miss anything

Any comment on the battery box construction. Has anyone elae had problems or had to construct or amend the batter locker
Leslie West
S/V Tiki Hull 154
Docked Pensacola Florida
Air Mobility

Battery Box Failure

Post by Air Mobility »

I just got finished making some temporary repairs to the battery box. My wife and I have been out for almost a week now and had to spend a day in Oxford,Md to recharge the batteries and dry out. I was about to check the battery electrolyte level when I noticed the one of my four golf cart batteries was not level with the other three. Further inspection revealed the battery box floor had caved in on the aft starboard side of the box. I got a piece of plywood cut at the Oxford Boat Yard (gratis on a Saturday) and screwed it to the battery box floor until I get back to Rock Hall. You may want to check this area. The construction is minimal, thin fiberglass over plywood. The whole floor will have to be replaced. I'm disappointed in the construction in that area.

George Fisher
S/V Air Mobility
Hull 158
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (99.45 KiB) Viewed 11747 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (114.1 KiB) Viewed 11747 times